Kyle and I watched The Bucket List on Friday (great movie!) and it really got me thinking. What does define our life, I believe my life is defined by what I did and the people I surround myself with. Everyone has those moments in their life that were most special to them, that had a part in helping them become who they are today. Some may be happy, others sad, but all helped in the making of that person. I have complied my Top 5 (so far) snapshots that made me who I am today.
5.) My Grandma Passing Away
I know, I know, this one is sad. I was 16, getting ready to start my junior year of high school. Her death was heartbreaking to me. I had never experienced a death in my immediate family and honestly, I just thought no one I loved could EVER die! Well, she did. My grandma was the most caring, honest, loving, hardworking woman I ever knew. When I think about about my childhood the most special moments revolve around her. I remember everything we did like it was yesterday. I learned how to play cards with my grandma, cook popcorn on the stove, become an expert Wheel of Fortune player, and many more because of my Grandma. Then one day, I woke up and she was gone. You know, my grandma was in the hospital for like 2 months and I think I only saw her once, maybe twice. I couldn't do it, I couldn't go see her. I know now that was selfish of me, but I was young and didn't want to see her like that. Every day that goes by, I think of her somehow or someway. Even when I look into the mirror, I see her. I look more like grandma, than my Mom. I act more like my grandma, than my Mom. Her death was hard, but it made me realize those hard life lessons....life will end, loved ones will be gone. Cherish the moments you have and love the moments you make!
4.) Graduating from Purdue University
For some graduating from college is no big deal. I was not one of those people. I was the first person from my family to go and graduate from college. So many individuals never receive the chance to even attend college and for the better part of all my college I took it for granted. Graduating, aside from the whole experience of being in college was a life changer. I came from a pretty small high school and then I got thrown into a very large university! Holy crap, I was one naive child! I saw things I wished I hadn't, did things I regret, and made a lifetime of memories with new and exciting people. When I got my degree, I was really proud of myself. I really felt that I had worked hard (well not all the time!) and achieved what I wanted! It was a great feeling. BUT my degree really should not have had just my name on it, many other people were part of this: my family, my friends, KYLE! If only all of them could have walked up there to get my degree, that would have been pure bliss!
3.) Abby & Jill (Plus Riley & Kyan)
I put them at number 3, but at one point in my life I am pretty sure they were number one. If you didn't know Abby & Jill are my best friends. We met in junior high and were pretty good friends all the way through high school. From April of our senior year to August both of them announced they were pregnant. I remember when Abby told us at our senior picnic, I was the only one who cried. I cried, because my heart just bleed for her. She was a beautiful and smart girl, who was headed to ISU in the fall and now she was pregnant. My heart dropped again when Jill told me she was pregnant in August. She was already at Ball State and now she was pregnant. My heart bleed again. But enough with the sorrows, because it was one of the best things that happened to them and me! It brought us all three closer together and it really made me look at my life. Instead of worrying about what party I would go to, I would worry about why Riley spit up or why Kyan wouldn't stop crying! They both re-focused my life and you know what....I am a better person today because of it! Abby & Jill had to quickly find out what it was like to care for someone else besides yourself and by watching them, I learned the lesson too. They are both amazing friend's, wife's, mother's. I could go on and on about how they changed my life, but this blog would grow to about 3 pages or more. They both know how I feel and I will forever be grateful for them.
2.) Car Accident
As with my previous post, this too was at number one for a looonnnggg time! December 3, 2001 I was hit head on, on a bridge coming back from work. I remember that day like yesterday. It was around 9ish at night and I had worn my glasses to work because my contacts were bothering me. I had just gotten on the bridge when I saw headlights coming straight for me. The 16 year old driver had heat me head on and pushed my against the guardrail and into another car. Sandwiched! I truly believed I died that night. If you ever want to know, what you think of when you die suddenly, it's ....OH MY GOD, I AM GOING TO DIE! I must have passed out and when I came to, my glasses were knocked off and I couldn't see a thing. I could feel blood and a lot of pain! I reached around for my cell phone and found it. I didn't call 911, I called my dad. My dad was a detective and he had heard the call come over his radio. He rushed over and he was the first one there. I was struggling to stay awake and I remember hearing so much screaming. The girl that hit me, her car had tipped over on it's side and one of her passengers was pinned between the road and the car. When I saw my dad at my window, I knew it was bad. I don't think up to that point I had seen my dad cry. I saw his face and eyes were filled with tears. He kept saying, "you're going to be okay, you're going to be okay" and all I thought is that is what every parent says when their child is going to die. They finally got me out of the car and then my dad's face went white. My right leg from my knee down was twisted and mangled and facing the opposite direction. It was then when the shock were out and real pain set in. I was screaming and I wanted to see it....they wouldn't let me. They operated on me that night. They turned my leg around (in the right direction) and said I had to have another surgery tomorrow to re-set my leg and ankle. I was devastated. I heard whispers of, "is she going to be able to walk again" my heart dropped. After 3 surgeries and 3 months of wheelchairs, crutches, and therapy and 2 bars and 10 screws later, I did walk. Now came the hard part, paying back the hundreds and thousands of dollars in medical bills. The girl that hit me, had no insurance, we had to sue my OWN insurance company. I think my parents almost had mental breakdowns, we owed all this money and we didn't even know if my insurance would pay for it. I remember one time my dad and I went to the bank to see if they could get a loan to pay for my schooling since their money was obviously going to hospitals and doctors and such. I told my dad that I wished I had just died, because surviving and seeing everyone could through all this shit was worse than death itself. Fast forward one year and insurance paid for most medical stuff and gave me a little extra which I used to buy a new car. I was left with scars and not just on my leg, scars of fear. I fear driving. I fear two lane roads. I fear drivers getting too close. My fear gets so bad sometimes, my own husband has to yell at me because I flip out when he gets too close to the center line. The accident changed my life forever. It was like my life was on a route and then BAM, I had to take a detour. BUT the detour was worth it.
1.) Getting Married
What is so special about this one is that it continues even unto this day. I'm ever more amazed at how blessed I am to have Kyle as my husband. He is a handsome, funny, loving man. I grow to love him more and more everyday. June 10th was so awesome, but I really think that it can't compare to the time we've now had together. Who would think that someone you meet when you are 8 would one day be your husband. God works in mysterious ways. I think all the above snapshots got me to my number one snapshot. Kyle was in my life for all of these snapshots, he just wasn't present for any of them. We almost connected on snapshot number 2, but he called my old cell phone that was disconnected. God had a plan for us. The plan worked perfectly and now I have the love of my life. It has been 2 years and 2 weeks that we were married. In reality, all my best memories are made better because I now have Kyle. I love him, always and forever.
And so, those are my snapshots. The times that defined me, saddened me, and showed me that God loves me and has a plan for me. Life is good!!
